"Differentiated instruction and assessment (also known as differentiated learning or, in education, simply, differentiation) is a framework or philosophy for effective teaching that involves providing students with different avenues to acquiring content; to processing, constructing, or making sense of ideas; and to developing teaching materials and assessment measures so that all students within a classroom can learn effectively, regardless of differences in ability." Wikipedia Differentiation, the ability for teachers to meet the needs of a variety of learners, is a key component for successful teaching. While there are lots of ways this can be done and lots of tools that educators can use to accomplish this, there are many sites that can help facilitate the process.
*This list is in alphabetical order
1. Actively Learn - Lets users make any reading material "their" own by adding questions, annotation, and collaboration which helps educators differentiate their instruction
2. Answer Pad - A wonderful student response system and assessment tool that lets teachers turn their classroom paperless. Also, the "Go Interactive" features allows teachers to collaborate with students in real-time and gauge student understanding to differentiate instruction.
3. BoomWriter - An excellent innovative site that allows students engage their creativity by completing chapters of a book/story and then having other students vote on which one should be included in the finished product. Once a book/story is completed a trade paperback copy can be ordered turning students into published writers. BoomWriter's toolkit contains standard based rubrics, that allows for online grading, and real-time assessment so educators to differentiate instruction.
4. Buncee - A fantastic digital canvas for creating presentations or digital stories that can be embedded into a site/blog. Also, this is a great way to "flip a classroom" and with Buncee Classroom teachers can assign quizzes, track/monitor students, and differentiate instruction.
5. edcite - A great site for teachers to create digital assignments, quizzes, and more. Best of all, edcite can automatically grade student responses in real-time and generate detailed reports allowing educators to differentiate instruction.
6. Edji- A cool new learning tool that lets students interact with online texts through highlighting, annotation, comments, and even emojis. The detailed "heat map" lets educators gauge student understanding and differentiate instruction.
7. EDpuzzle - Probably the world's most popular site for flipping a classroom or lesson by adding questions to a video and then assessing student's answers to differentiate instruction.
8. Hippo Video - An excellent web tool for students/educators to create stunning digital videos. Teachers use these videos to introduce a subject, create a screencast, and even gauge student understanding to differentiate instruction.
9. IXL - One of the most popular sites around for Math that allows for student tracking with detailed reporting. Also, with the ability to track student "trouble" areas a teacher can adjust their teaching (differentiation) to help meet the needs of their students.
10. Night Zookeeper - An interesting new site where to help student's with their Writing skills through interactive lessons and competitions. The educational portal allows educators to track their students and differentiate instruction.
11. Otus - An excellent one-to-one learning management solution as well as mobile learning environment where educators easily differentiate instruction with Otus's detailed real-time analytics.
12. Pear Deck - A wonderful educational tool that lets educators create quizzes, slides, or presentations. Once the "decks" are created students can respond via their mobile devices. Teachers can the assess student understanding and differentiate instruction in real-time.
13. Power My Learning - A great way for educators to differentiate instruction by customizing the learning experience for students using Power My Learning.
14. Quizster - An innovative site/app for grading/assessing students work that is submitted to them via photos. Teachers can then annotate, comment, and grade in real-time helping them differentiate instruction.
15. ZooWhiz - A fantastic site aligned to educational curriculums in a wide variety of subjects (Math, Grammar, Vocab, etc.). ZW offers details progress reports that helps assess students learning needs.
Game Based Learning to Differentiate Instruction
*Badaboom - A easy way for educators to create learning games to assess and differentiate their instruction
*Kahoot - One of the most popular tools around to "Gamify" a classroom and differentiate instruction.
Click here for a great article on differentiated Instruction.
cross posted at cyber-kap.blogspot.com
David Kapuler is an educational consultant with more than 10 years of experience working in the K-12 environment. For more information about his work, contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and read his blog at cyber-kap.blogspot.com.