Partnership for Los Angeles Schools Aims to Boost Achievement with New Software - Tech Learning

Partnership for Los Angeles Schools Aims to Boost Achievement with New Software

Revolution K12, a web-based adaptive software division of Revolution Prep, has joined with the Partnership for Los Angeles Schools to help sixteen of its middle and high schools improve student outcomes in math and English Language Arts
Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0

Revolution K12, a web-based adaptive software division of Revolution Prep, has joined with the Partnership for Los Angeles Schools to help sixteen of its middle and high schools improve student outcomes in math and English Language Arts. The Partnership is the first school system to implement Revolution K12’s full product line, a $1 million dollar investment over two years. The program includes access to Algebra Readiness, Algebra I, Algebra Support, Geometry, College Readiness, English Language Arts, CAHSEE 380 and CAHSEE Intervention, as part of a blended learning approach to supplement curriculum and support teachers.

"We are grateful Revolution Prep has joined with the Partnership in our effort to bring technology into historically low-income, high-need schools," said Mayor Villaraigosa. "The math and English software programs Revolution Prep is providing will allow our teachers to better support the differentiated learning needs of their students and bridge the digital divide that separates so many low income students from their wealthier peers."

The Partnership for Los Angeles Schools is a collaboration between the City of Los Angeles and the Los Angeles Unified School District to turn around LA’s lowest performing public schools and to create a model for doing so district-wide. Today it is one of the largest public school turnaround projects in the nation, serving nearly 17,000 students across 22 schools in some of the city’s underserved communities.

One of the first Partnership schools to pilot Revolution K12’s programs in Spring 2011, Mendez Math and Science, has already shown results. An additional 15% of 10th grade students passed both the Math and ELA sections of the CAHSEE, with an overall pass rate increase from 45% to 60%. As a result, Mendez’s Math and Science Center now ranks sixth in terms of CAHSEE pass rate improvement among all LAUSD comprehensive high schools.

The Partnership’s middle and high schools have committed to working with Revolution K12’s programs through 2013 and 2014, respectively. The organization has also furthered their commitment to using the programs with fidelity by hiring a full-time Revolution K12 program manager who will work exclusively with the Partnership to provide professional development and support.

“We evaluated many programs and schools’ successes with each when deciding who to partner with and Revolution K12 showed great gains with some individual schools in our service area,” said Partnership for Los Angeles Schools’ CEO Marshall Tuck. “This partnership marks the first time we have taken on an outside vendor to make significant change in our teaching and learning. By incorporating online assessments and instruction, our teachers will have the tools to offer a blended learning approach to student achievement.”

Featured

Related

Study: Sixth graders achieve gains with reading software

Sixth graders at Langston Chapel Middle School who used the Fast ForWord® family of educational software products achieved substantial gains in reading and English language arts on the Northwest Evaluation Association’s Measures of Academic Progress (MAP), according to a study by Dr. Jody Woodrum, assistant superintendent of teaching and learning for grades K-5 in Bulloch County Schools in Georgia.

Georgia district boosts reading achievement

Students in the Clarke County School District in Georgia who used the Fast ForWord® family of educational software products from Scientific Learning Corp. made statistically significant gains in their reading achievement on the Criterion-Referenced Competency Tests (CRCT), according to a new study that evaluated student performance over the last five years.