A panel of experts will focus on cradle-to-career strategies for improving the educational outcomes of students of color
(BOSTON, Massachusetts) March 8, 2016 – Public Consulting Group (PCG) Education today announced that it will host the My Brother’s Keeper (MBK) Summit on March 9, 2016, as part of the sixth annual South by Southwest Education (SXSWedu) conference in Austin. My Brother’s Keeper is a White House initiative created to help school districts and cities prepare children of color for long-term success.
The MBK Summit will take place from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the JW Marriot Ballrooms 3,5, and 7. The summit will feature speakers promoting cradle-to-career best practices and shining a spotlight on success in reaching the six key milestones of the MBK Community Challenge. Those milestones include the following:
- All children enter school cognitively, physically, socially, and emotionally ready.
- All children read at grade level by third grade.
- All youth graduate from high school.
- All youth complete post-secondary education or training.
- All youth out of school are employed.
- All youth remain safe from violent crime.
Austin Independent School District Superintendent,Dr. Paul Cruz,will deliver introductory remarks before the summit panel, with breakout sessions to follow. Panelists for the event willinclude the following:
- Dr. Brenda Manuel: Director, Student Empowerment, Los Angeles Unified School District
- Dr. Mark Bedell: Assistant Superintendent for High Schools, Baltimore County Public Schools
- Diallo Shabazz: Executive Director, One Hundred Black Men, Inc.
- Dr. Denise Tillery: Senior Director Intervention Services K-12, Wake County Public Schools, NC
- Dr. Adriana Villavicencio: Deputy Director, Research Alliance for New York City Schools, and Adjunct Professor, NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development.
- David Watkins: Director, Equity and Academic Attainment, Broward County Public Schools, FL.
Following the summit, there will be a reception from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. at Icenhauer's (83 Rainey St, Austin) where attendees will meet education colleagues, district administrators, and city officials from across the U.S. and exchange best practices on positioning children of color for long-term success.
The summit is open only to SXSWedu conference attendees. To attend the reception, you must RSVP here.
For additional information on attending the summit or reception please click here.
About PCG Education
A division of Public Consulting Group (PCG), PCG Education offers consulting and technology solutions to schools, districts, and state education agencies across the U.S. and internationally to strengthen student achievement and improve organizations’ instructional and operational capacity. In partnership with clients, PCG designs and delivers training and technical assistance to build educators’ ability to improve instruction, develop standards-based curriculum, and meet the needs of diverse learners along the pathway to college and career readiness. PCG supports practitioners at all stages of standards implementation. More information is available at PublicConsultingGroup.com/education.
PR with Panache!