The skill of photo editing is a must for anyone fluent in technology. It can help speed up the process of uploading photos for a project, correcting mistakes, and even help "spice" up the mundane. While newer computers might come with a photo editing app (iPhoto, Preview, etc.) not all of them do. For that reason, I decided to create a list of my top favorite photo editing sites that not only allow the photo to be re-sized and edited, but also add effects.
- Sumo Paint - One of the most popular and oldest online photo editors around. Sumo Paint has lots of nice tools for editing a photo such as brush, shapes, crop and looks a lot like PhotoShop.
- Aviary - Aviary is one of the best online suites on the web for doing lots of multi-media things, including editing photos. Not only does it have an educational portal, but it also has browser extensions, and a very nice user interface.
- Splashup - A great site that is similar to Sumo Paint that allows users to edit photos and adjust pixels and layers as well.
- Cloud Canvas - Another great site for editing photos that allows users to draw, crop, and paint.
- Phixr - An easy site to use to upload a photo from a computer or social networking site and then edit by adding images or text.
- iPiccy - A great site for uploading a photo and then editing it with tools such as, text, drawing, or paint.
- Imageoid - A site that is similar to iPiccy for adding effects to an image.
- Citrify - An excellent free online photo editor with lots of options to choose from such as touch-ups, effects, etc.
- Fix Picture - A nice site for converting, resizing, or rotating an image.
- Picjuice - A site similar to Fix Picture where a user can crop, resize, rotate or adjust a photo.
David Kapuler is an educational consultant with more than 10 years of experience working in the K-12 environment. For more information about his work, contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and read his blog at cyber-kap.blogspot.com.