The sixth grade standard includes five components:
- Ratios and Proportional Relationships - Understand ratio concepts and use ratio reasoning to solve problems.
- The Number System - Extend previous understanding of fractions including multiplying and dividing fractions, compute fluently with multi-digit numbers and find common factors and multiples.
- Expressions and Equations - Reason about and solve one-variable equations and inequalities.
- Geometry - Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving area, surface area, and volume.
- Statistics and Probability - Develop understanding of statistical variability.
6th Grade Math Testing Prep (opens in new tab) $2.99; Teacher upgrade $4.99 - This app covers all of the core standards, allowing students to move at their own pace with quizzes to evaluate student understanding. Topics include: ratios, probability, statistics, algebra, geometry, and multiple step procedures. The upgrade for teachers allows teachers to enter as many students as needed, set the number of questions, and review scores and track student improvement.
Algebra Touch (opens in new tab) $2.99 - Current material covers: Simplification, Like Terms, Commutativity, Order of Operations, Factorization, Prime Numbers, Elimination, Isolation, Variables, Basic Equations, Distribution, Factoring Out, Substitution, and 'More Advanced' mode.
Greatest Common Factor (opens in new tab) $.99 - Calculates the GCF or LCM of two numbers.
Elevated Math (opens in new tab) Free - Lessons include: Numbers and Operations, Measurement, Geometry Algebra and Data Analysis and Probability (grades 6-8).
Factor Race- Algebra (opens in new tab) Free - A game in which the player must identify the binomial factors of trinomial equations.
Geometry-Volume-Solids-lite (opens in new tab) Free - The lite version of this app provides a quick way to learn and calculate volume of solids. There are six computer-animated videos on the volume of the cube, rectangular solid, cylinder, sphere, cone and pyramid. The paid addition is $1.99. It includes videos on the cube, cylinder, sphere, cone and pyramid.
The seventh grade standard includes five components:
- Ratios and Proportional Relationships - Analyze proportional relationships and use them to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
- The Number System - extend previous knowledge using the four operations with fractions and the ability to divide and multiply rational numbers.
- Expressions and Equations - Use properties of operations to generate equivalent expressions.
- Geometry - Draw, construct and describe geometrical figures and describe the relationships between them.
- Statistics and Probability - Ability to use random samplings and make inferences about populations, investigate chance processes and develop, use, and evaluate probability models.
7th grade math testing prep (opens in new tab) $2.99; Teacher upgrade $4.99- Covers the Core Standards from advanced problem solving, fractions, probability, and statistics to logical calculations.
Middle School Math 7th Grade (opens in new tab) Free - Three levels for each topic: Negative numbers, absolute value and order of operations.
Middle School Math Pro 7th Grade (opens in new tab) $.99 - Three levels, 10 topics, including adding and subtracting fractions, multiplying and dividing fractions, factors and multiples, decimals, and more. Student guides a monkey down the ladder to get to the next level.
Algebra Concepts for the iPad (opens in new tab) $1.99 - Geared for 7th grade students. The app includes Variables and Expressions, Properties of Real Numbers, Solving Equations and Polynomials.
Sketchpad Explorer (opens in new tab) Free - This app was mentioned in an earlier blog. Grades 7-9 specifically are geared to early algebra.
The eighth grade standard also has five components:
- The Number System - Know that there are numbers that are not rational, and approximate them by rational numbers.
- Expressions and Equations - Work with radicals and integer exponents, understand the connections between proportional relationships, lines, and linear equations.
- Functions - Define, evaluate, and compare functions.
- Geometry - Understand congruence and similarity using physical models, transparencies, or geometry; understand and apply the Pythagorean Theorem.
- Statistics and Probability - Investigate patterns of association in bivariate data
8th Grade Math (opens in new tab)- $2.99 - Helps students understand major math terms and concepts: Sequences and Series, Polynomials, Square Roots, Introduction to Geometry, Triangles and Other Polygons, Pythagorean Theorem, and Trigonometry.
Algebra Prep (opens in new tab) $3.99 - Review and practice equations, graphing, systems, exponents, factoring, rationals and more. Includes videos, practices tests and mini-tests.
Pythagorean Theorem (opens in new tab) $4.99 - Includes five video examples, eight interactive practice problems, one challenge problem, one worksheet of extra problems and one notes page.
Symmetry-Shuffle (opens in new tab) $1.99 - This mathematical puzzle allows users to explore line and rotational symmetry, while developing their spatial sense to create strategies to help them solve problems. The app is a fun way to understand the congruence, similarity, and line or rotational symmetry of objects using transformations.
ALinearEqn Linear Equations (opens in new tab) $.99 - A combined interactive Coaching Calculator and Guide that helps students master the solving of linear equations.
Vicki Windman is a special education teacher at Clarkstown High School South.