Top 25 Web 2.0 Sites for Education by David Kapuler
10/21/2011 1:18:16 PM
2.0 is a term that describes the second generation of the web and its collaborative and evolving nature. I've compiled a list of my favorite web 2.0
sites for education, focusing strictly on sites that have
an educational portal//instance. What I mean by this is that each site
has a section for teachers or a way of controlling the content that
students produce. This can be done by educational accounts,
monitoring by teachers, filtering, or other means. Most of these sites are
free but may offer more services via paid subscription.
Top 25 Web 2.0 Sites for Education
Kapuler is an educational consultant with more than 10 years of
experience working in the K-12 environment. For more information about
his work, contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and read his blog at cyber-kap.blogspot.com
- Google/Gaggle - Google Apps are some of the most popular services for document creation and collaboration. Gaggle (for a small fee) filters Google Apps (Zoho
as well) to make it an ideal choice for education. Also, Gaggle allows
for filtered blogging, chatting, messaging boards, and filtered videos
in You Tube, etc.
- Edmodo - A
wonderful free site that creates an educational environment for
students that focuses on skills such as blogging and collaboration.
- A great multi-media site for creating interactive posters that can be
viewed online. Plus, student accounts can be created by an educator
without the need of a student email.
- Voice Thread - One of the most popular web 2.0 sites around. An ideal site for creating interactive presentations/slide shows.
- Myths & Legends
- A free site that is wonderful for digital storytelling. All a
teacher has to do is get approval from a school administrator to sign a
school up for this great service.
- Animoto - Create dynamic slide shows with one of the most popular slide show creators on the web.
- Mixbook - A great way to create a safe and secure environment for students to create online or real books (for order).
- The evolution of presentations has arrived with this zoomable
presentation creator. Also, there is an educational portal in the
- Aviary Education
- A safe, secure way that offers many services for
students, such as photo editor, audio editor, and movie creator.
- Diigo - An ideal site for social bookmarking that allows teachers to create student account for sharing and annotating links.
- Weebly - A fantastic site for creating a student or teacher websites with the ability to blog.
- ToonDoo Spaces - One of the best online comic creators that allows for student accounts.
- Kidblog - One of the top ways for students to create blogs in a safe environment.
- Primary Access
- A nice site for digital story telling that allows students to use a
variety of different resources such as video, audio, photos, etc.
- Zoho Wiki - Similar to Google Apps, this online suite offers a secure way for students to create docs and share.
- Kerpoof - A multi-media site for creating stories, games, lessons, etc.
- Zimmertwins - A fun site for digital storytelling that is done by creating one student account for a class.
- SymbalooEdu - A great visual way for teachers to share sites and resources with students.
- Pixton - An excellent way to create online digital comics that is moderated by a teacher.
- Zunal - A fantastic webquest creator for teachers.
- Alice Storytelling - One of the best ways to learn about the basics of programming as well as digital storytelling (a free pc download).
- Story Jumper - A great way for students to create real or online stories and then have the ability to order a book.
- Storybird - A fun site for collaborative and digital storytelling.
- Magic Studio - A wonderful site for teachers to share multimedia resources with students.
- Museum Box - A great historical site for teachers and students to create multimedia projects.
comments powered by
Gainesville, FL, Feb. 23, 2017 – The Schools of Hope Survey, und...
Texas’ Greenville Independent School District (GISD) announced t...
Sergeant Laboratories announced today the expansion of its AristotleIn...
“A Helpful Guide to Interactive Solutions in the Classroom”...
HMH Kids Discover Social Studies provides easily digestible conte...
The social emotional learning platform was singled out by an audience ...
The comprehensive, online and blended learning program now spans ...
Capstone, a leading publisher of children’s books and digi...
LeDerick Horne and Dr. Margo Izzo headline the “Eureka! Big Idea...