Kurzweil Education, Inc.
, a division of Cambium Learning Group, Inc., announced today the launch of the newest Kurzweil 3000®–firefly literacy software, which helps learners read and understand content, then demonstrate what they have learned. This version includes nearly 40 updates to Kurzweil 3000 for Windows, Mac, and the web-based firefly that will enhance the reading experience, help develop a deeper understanding of content, and facilitate assignment completion and writing.
Kurzweil 3000–firefly enables all students, including those with learning differences such as dyslexia and English language learners (ELL and ESL), to learn from the same content as their peers. Anchored in the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL), it supports the complex tasks of developing fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, writing, study skills, and test-taking strategies. Built-in multisensory tools foster active participation throughout the full learning process, while anytime, anywhere access to curricula promotes independent learning at home, in the classroom, and beyond.
Major features in the new version include:
- High-quality Acapela text-to-speech voices; support for the OpenDyslexic font; an updated Optical Character Reader; improved scanning capabilities; and the ability to read EPUB files, images, and locked files to provide a superior reading experience
- Updates to the built-in American Heritage® dictionaries; addition of 12,000 new Widgit® images in the picture dictionary; vocabulary study guides; and translation to 70+ languages to help deepen comprehension
- New and updated writing tools, including updates to word prediction and study guides; new academic word lists; and new writing templates such as Analyzing Informational Text and Determining Important Details
- Enhancements to the Kurzweil 3000–firefly cloud-based Universal Library that provide educators with a centralized, flexible user-management system and usage reporting
- New teacher templates, including a UDL Lesson with Kurzweil 3000–firefly and a Common Core State Standards Lesson Plan
Current subscription customers of Kurzweil 3000–firefly receive all new features at no cost when the updates become available as part of their ongoing subscription. Districts, schools, individual users, and those in the workplace who are using older versions of Kurzweil 3000 can learn more about upgrading at the Kurzweil Education website.
For more information, visit kurzweiledu.com