From the Principal's Office: ASCD Welcomes New Teachers and Offers List of Educational Resources
0 comment(s) so far...
August 26, 2013 By: J. Robinson
ASCD, welcomes new teachers to the education profession and offers a variety of educational resources to ease new teachers into the teaching profession.
“As a former teacher myself, I remember vividly the concerns and questions I had when embarking on my first year of teaching,” said Dr. Gene R. Carter, executive director and CEO of ASCD. “This is why we here at ASCD are committed to providing educators the tools they need to thrive this upcoming school year, and throughout their years as educators.”
Here’s a big list of resources that ASCD offers new teachers.
Complete Reading Assignments at Home
– ASCD has hundreds of books that address the biggest topics in education. For example, Robyn Jackson’s Never Work Harder Than Your Students
shows how any teacher can become a master teacher and presents seven principles for getting started.
– Sign up for this free daily e-newsletter that provides a briefing on the top stories in K–12 education, including policy issues, ASCD resources, and education employment opportunities.
Educational Leadership magazine
– Written by educators for educators, this summer’s free online-only issue, “Reflect, Refresh, Recharge,” is intended to help teachers plan the upcoming school year. In addition to in-depth articles, readers will find video segments from ASCD authors. Educators can also download the new EL
app from iTunes
, Google Play
, or the Amazon Appstore
Continue Learning with ASCD’s Professional Development Tools
PD In Focus
® – The award-winning PD In Focus online application provides educators around the globe with anytime access to high-quality, on-demand professional learning videos that show effective teaching in action. For new teachers, this platform provides instant tips and assistance through hundreds of videos, including, “Differentiated Instruction,” “Understanding by Design,” and a series on the Common Core State Standards.
– ASCD’s webinars provide free ongoing learning for new teachers by bringing in education experts to talk about timely topics, such as Common Core State Standards, 21st century learning strategies, and closing the achievement gap. Each webinar is archived so educators never have to miss a topic and can access the large catalog of past webinars. Educators can also access ASCD webinars through the association’s iTunes U Channel by searching “ASCD” on iTunes.
– This free online resource portal has materials intended to build teachers’ knowledge around the Common Core State Standards. Here you will find current, relevant, and evidence-based tools and professional development to smooth your transition into a new era of teaching and learning.
Join ASCD in the Blogosphere
– As ASCD’s official blog, Inservice
stimulates conversation by covering the biggest topics in education today and offers insights, information, and resources that empower educators. Readers will find policy updates, details of conferences, guest posts from education experts, and more.
– Join ASCD’s free social networking tool and connect with friends, colleagues, peers, and mentors. This award-winning platform gives educators opportunities to network with colleagues through groups, join professional learning communities, share photos and videos, and read influential blog posts from other ASCD EDge members.
Whole Child Blog
– The Whole Child Blog
helps educators ensure that each child, in each school, and in each community is healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged. New teachers can benefit from the free resources, contributions from experts in education and ASCD staff, examples of what a whole child approach in education looks like, and more.
Connect with ASCD via Social Media
– Connect with @ASCD and fellow educators on Twitter. Stay up-to-date with education happenings in real time through articles, blog posts, videos, and more.
– Like ASCD’s Facebook page to continue the conversation and connect with fellow educators through ASCD’s posts.
—On this visual social network, you’ll find informative infographics, inspiring quotes, ASCD book recommendations, education technology tips, and more.
ASCD provides expert and innovative solutions in professional development, capacity building, and educational leadership essential to the way educators learn, teach, and lead. Like ASCD’s resources? Become a member
and gain full access to all ASCD has to offer.
For more information on ASCD’s programs, products, and services, or to join, visit www.ascd.org