Schools that are looking for ways to make classrooms more inclusive have a new resource for preparing teachers with “You’re Going to Love This Kid!” A Professional Development Package for Teaching Students with Autism in the Inclusive Classroom. The DVD, created by Paula Kluth, Ph.D., features more than a dozen of her colleagues addressing how to welcome and teach students with autism.
The 55-minute professional development video walks viewers through the what, why, and how of honoring and supporting all learners. With this program, educators will discover practical ways to:
- differentiate instruction nurture students’ social skills through peer supports
- improve school culture so all students are welcomed and included
- make the most of each student’s gifts and interests
- strengthen partnerships between schools and families
- reframe challenges in a positive way
The package includes a concise Facilitator’s Guide filled with sample professional development plans, summaries of teaching strategies, tips from educators, thought-provoking questions for group discussion, and practical forms and checklists to evaluate practices and plan supports, as well as a 16-minute video Speaking of Inclusion: Ten Questions Asked and Answered.